Thursday, September 27, 2012

Long time coming

Ok so it's been about a year and a half since I last posted anything to blogger.  I take it by now, no one is following me anymore, which is A-OK with me. 

I've started a running program this past Monday.  This is a long time coming.  I've had a slow and steady weight gain over the last 2 years.  I've reached the point now where I'm uncomfortable in my own skin.  Two of the guys in the grad department are runners.  They talk about it all the time.  So instead of just listening to them, I've decided to join the conversation. 

Similar to the Couch to 5k Program, it is a slow, gradual introduction to running.  This is the line that sold me. 

"Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves."

That is me if I've ever heard it!  The one I'm following is a 10 week program. 

Week 1 = Walk for 1 minute.  Run for 30 seconds.  For 25 minutes every other day.
Week 2 = Walk for 2 minutes.  Run for 1 minute.  For 25 minutes every other day.
Week 3 = Walk for 3 minutes.  Run for 90 seconds.  For 25 minutes every other day.
Week 4 = Walk for 3 minutes.  Run for 2 minutes.  For 25 minutes every other day.
Week 5 = Walk for 2 minutes.  Run for 2 minutes.  For 25 minutes every other day.
Week 6 = Walk for 2 minutes.  Run for 3 minutes.  For 25 minutes every other day.
Week 7 = Walk for 1 minutes.  Run for 3 minutes.  For 25 minutes every other day.
Week 8 = Walk for 30 seconds.  Run for 3 minutes.  For 25 minutes every other day.
Week 9 = Walk for 30 seconds.  Run for 4 minutes.  For 25 minutes every other day.
Week 10 = Run for as long as comfortable.  Walk for 30-60 seconds.  For 25 minutes every other day.

So after talking to the guys at school, I was informed that I should to keep a log of my activities.  I'm going to do that on this blog site. 

WEEK 1
Day 1.  Distance 1.5 miles. Time 23 minutes.  Feet felt good.  Right knee had zingers of pain.
Day 2.  Rock climbing for ~15 minutes.  Stability exercise ~ 10  minutes.
Day 3.  Distance 2.2 miles.  Time 33:35 minutes.  It was HOT.  I hit the wall at about a mile and a half (~25 minutes).  Mostly walked the last bit with a few 30 second runs.  Knee felt much better.  Shoes are awesome.  Hooray for Brooks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brilliantly done and I am delighted by the efforts you have put in for the completion of the blog. Just want to tell you that keep on going the way you are going on and provide us some more fruitful information on daily basis.
Yarn Suppliers