Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hawaii part 1: The Big Island

In the garden at the hotel.

Lookout over the active crater at Kilauea.

Deep into the Thurston lava tube.

The light at the end of the tunnel!

The rain forest


Pahoehoe lava

lava pouring into the ocean

Steam from lava entering the ocean

my first helicopter ride

Helicopter view of lava-ocean interaction


Pahoehoe catches the light, A'a doesn't

8 miles to entry point (we didn't make that hike!)

sea arch

view straight down... scary!

Lava closed the road!

3 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Great pictures. I love Hawaii!

Analee said...

did you like the tunnel? or not>>> i'm guessing not since you highlighted the out.

a'a
ouch!
pahoehoe
ahh..

I'm to sexy for my chert said...

I didn't mind the tunnel. About half way through it I noticed the cracks in the roof and freaked out a little, but then I saw the light at the end. it was pretty neat in there!