Wednesday, August 20, 2008

school, school, the first day of school

I had my last first day of school today!




It started with a PACKED bus! Normally that bus route has the extended bus with the accordion type stuff in the middle so It will burn better, but today, of all days they had the regular size bus. I get on at the 4th stop and at the 5th spot there were people standing up, all the seats were taken. I wasn't sure if the bus driver was going to stop at the last few spots due to full capacity! he did though, it was like unloading cattle!

I did, to everyone's surprise, make it to my 8am chemistry class. My professor's name is Eli Hvastkovs (pron. h-vast-cos) I was really worried when I first saw his name, for obvious reasons... I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to understand what he was saying, he would be hard to talk to for help, etc. I get to class, sit down and in walks this HOT young muscular guy carrying the syllabus! You could hear all the girls sigh. it was quite funny. he starts talking and said that his classes are always relieved to see him walk in because they all expect some eastern European and he was born in America! (I have a feeling that is not the only reason people are relieved to see him walk in. I also have the feeling he will be hard to talk to for help just because he is so good looking.) I think that class is going to be a lot of hard work, obviously, but i think I'll do a better job at keeping up this year, since I'm motivated to graduate...

after Chem is done at 850 I walked over to the geology building for my first hydrology class! Dr. Spruill was everything analee told me he would be. When he first walked in he said everyone has to know everyones name before we can leave. then he introduced person 1, asked her some questions then went to person 2. after P2 he went back to P1, then P2, then moved on to P3. After P3 he repeated P1, P2, P3, then moved to P4, etc. it was amazing. I know everyone's name now, as long as they sit in the same seats next monday! Hydro was done by 950 but we had lab at 1230. Spruill has already helped me with chemistry. In lab we worked on conversions. changing gallons per day into ft3 per second, etc. I remember being really good at conversions in high school but somewhere between high school chemistry and college chemistry I lost it! now i'm sure, with Spruill's help, I'll get it back again!

Tomorrow (thursday) I only have one class. Societies Around the World. I had this professor last semester for Cultures of the South Pacific. He was amazing, a wonderful teacher (analee he is another that teaches by repetition) He comes in with his 3 ring binder for the class, start lecturing from memory and then at the end of class will scan through his notes to make sure he didn't miss anything. He is one of those very knowledgeable professors that has been everywhere and done everything. Dr. Bunger did his masters on some people in africa, I really don't remember where he said. His thesis was basically an ethnography of these people. He is also one of those teachers that goes off subject, telling stories of his time in africa. (FOR MOM... "I had a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong hills. I had a farm in Africa."

anyway I'll post tomorrow telling how the class goes.

2 comments:

Analee said...

you were so born in the wrong decade.

Dena said...

"I had a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills." I craved that movie while in KY. I said the words several times. I think tomorrow will be a good rainy day to watch it again. "I had a farm in Africa."